One of the joys of a vegan grocery store is that you don’t have to be so diligent about looking for hidden animal ingredients. Non-dairy cheese, for example, sometimes contains the milk protein casein. Casein is a cheap way to make fake cheese melt, but companies like Daiya are creating vegan cheese that melts and tastes better. At a vegan grocery store, there’s no guesswork.
The list below has some brick and mortar locations and some shops that are online only:
1. Viva La Vegan has two brick and mortar locations: one in Santa Monica and in Cucumonga, California. You can also shop Viva La Vegan online.
2. Veganz is a full on vegan grocery chain that started in Germany and is opening its first U.S. location in 2016.
3. Food Fight Grocery in Portland, Oregon, was one of the first vegan grocery stores in the U.S., and you can shop it in person or online.
4. Rabbit Food Grocery in Austin, TX is almost all online, but local customers can pick up their haul at local vegan businesses to waive any shipping fees.
5. Vegan Online is a virtual Australian vegan grocery store. They’ll ship Australia-wide, so no matter where on the continent you live, you can get vegan treats on your doorstep.
6. Vegan Perfection is another Australian vegan grocery store. If you live in Melbourne, check out their physical location.
7. Honest to Goodness is a UK-based vegan grocery store that will ship anywhere in the United Kingdom.
8. Vegan.co.uk, which also ships UK-wide.
9. Pangea’s Vegan Store in Rockville, MD has both a physical store and an online shop.